The 2nd week of August Joe found out that he was accepted to the University of Husson, in Bangor, Maine for the Occupational Therapy masters program. It was such a relief and yet life became chaotic in an instant. Since that time, we got our house in "selling" condition (which was harder than it sounds for a perfectionist like myself), put it on the market, I found a job and got a Maine license to practice, organized a move and packed ourselves off to the North. (Side note: Our new street is appropriately named "Yankee Ave"!).
Those last 6 weeks were crazy, as I relied mainly on my mom and sister to watch our boys while I worked, with the occasional help of some good friends. We are so grateful for friends and family who are willing to help out even when it's inconvenient for them. We crammed in as much as we could: about 3 last minute trips to 6 Flags on the season passes, lunches with friends, Caleb's impromptu early birthday party, a going away party, and sleepovers. It was difficult and tearful for all of us.
My sister got engaged the night we packed everything up, so we definitely had our excitement for the day. (Also forgot to mention I had a new nephew just a little before all this... Zane Scott Simmons was born!!)
Joe drove 2 trucks (that's right... we have WAY too much stuff) with my Dad all the way, while the boys and I flew with my mom. It was such a relief to have her help. The boys both did great on their first flight. 2nd flight was past naptime. Levi finally fell asleep but got woken up and started screaming a high-pitched, blood-curdling scream. Nothing would stop him (rocking, food, drink, sucker) and the stewardess was taking up the whole aisle with the beverage cart. After about 2 minutes I chased her all the way down the aisle so I could get away from all the daggers being thrown my way. Did I say we were on a plane to New York... not a lot of babies or people overly tolerant of noisy children. Although one man came up to me and said I was doing a wonderful job and of course I started crying. Great. Add runny maskara to my frazzled look. I managed to keep him relatively quiet until the descent. They wouldn't let me stand at the back, so Levi again got to scream his head off for the entire landing routine. It was not what I would call my most enjoyable moments of the day. I was seriously thinking it would be better to ride alone for 4 days with this than 10 minutes on an airplane. Then the real fun began. We were already prepared for a 3 hour layover. Time came, plane was there. No crew. So we waited. For almost 3 hours. Not quite 3 hours, because then Delta has to issue you vouchers for a free flight. 22 minutes shy of 3 hours delayed, we finally took off. We arrived at DFW at 8:45 Thursday morning, and we arrived in Bangor, ME at 1:00 am Friday morning. It was a pretty long day. The thing that worried me most was a guy on th plane said that when flights came in this late to Bangor, if the ground crew had gone home they would have to turn around. I'm still not sure if that was a joke or not!
Friday we unpacked some and did a little tour. Our little house is very cute and we back to some woods with walking trails that the boys love to drive the powerwheels around. The house living space is tight, but we are nice and cozy here. Sunday morning we went to church with about 30 other people. The boys were in the same class with one other little boy. They did well, but they will really miss their teachers and Ms. Charlene's curriculum. Went back Sunday night with about15 people and had a song service. Levi was leading from his seat. I asked Caleb what he wanted to sing and he said, "The Lord's Army". Maybe next time he can lead it! I started my new job today. There are about 20 ladies up there and a couple guys. Lots of new process, paperwork, and procedures to learn, but it will be good. Seems to be pretty relaxed.
Caleb and Levi seem to be adjusting well. Levi has entered the tantrum throwing phase/screaming at everything phase. So we are enjoying our little baby pteradactyl.
Guess I'll sign off for now. I'll post pics soon so you can compare the house before/after the snow starts. When we were looking at houses on the internet, Caleb kept telling me he didn't want to live in some because they had too much snow!
| From cj bday and ft knox |
| From cj bday and ft knox |
No comments:
Post a Comment