Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sick day

Caleb had a fever today. That slowed him down for about 2 hours this morning, until the Tylenol kicked in. At lunch, which he ate around 3pm, I thought again (for about the 100th time) about how boys are so different than girls. When I was little, mom said "don't play with your food", which usually meant "don't mess around and actually eat the food on your plate". But for boys, at least my son, that saying REALLY means "don't use your food as a plaything". This would include bridges, airplanes, trains, cars, weapons of any type, etc. And yet, for some unexplainable reason, he always thinks I will be amazed by whatever new trick he has thought of to do with his food and/or utensils. Of course, this pretty much applies to any new trick he has uncovered, not just at the dinner table. At the moment, most of them have to do with jumping. "Look how high I can jump today", "Look how I can jump from the couch to the ottoman", "Look how far I can jump over these tiles in the kitchen"... now, if only he can use those jumping skills into the pool this summer instead of just stepping off the side. Seriously though, he has learned to say "Mom, watch this!", instead of naming the specific feat he is about to accomplish for fear that I will nix the idea before he can complete it. Sneaky. Now I find myself holding my breath every time I hear that phrase! Oh, besides jumping, it is often some new way of balancing his dinner objects on the way to the sink. So he has now also mastered how to use the dustbuster. I could tell he was feeling better when the usual question popped up again..."Mommy, will you play with me?"

No comments: